Accused Subway Shooter Frank James to Plead Guilty to Terrorism

USA News


  • Frank James plans to plead guilty to 10 terrorism charges, a new court filing says.
  • James is accused of striking 10 people with bullets when opening fire on the NYC subway.
  • James posted videos online full of hateful messages about different groups, including the homeless.

Frank James, the man accused of opening fire on a Brooklyn-bound subway train in April, has agreed to enter guilty pleas to 10 counts of carrying out a terrorist attack and other violence on a mass transportation system.

James, 62, was arrested more than 24 hours after police identified him as the man who shot 10 people during the morning commute on April 13. 

On Wednesday, attorneys for James filed a motion saying he “wishes to schedule a guilty plea to the superseding indictment” filed in US District Court in Brooklyn. A plea hearing is scheduled for January 3, according to the case docket.

The federal terrorism on mass transit charges come with a possible life sentence.

Police officer after New York subway shooting

A police officer exits a subway station in New York city following a shooting on April 12, 2022.

Anna Watts for Insider



A morning of terror

At James’ initial appearance in court, a federal prosecutor told the judge that James inflicted terror “that the city has not seen in more than 20 years.”

Prosecutors said a “stockpile of weapons” was found at James’ Philadelphia apartment and storage unit, and noted many videos he posted to social media in which he referred to death and killing. 

In one video, for example, James instructed others how to make a Molotov cocktail, a homemade incendiary device, Assistant US Attorney Sara K. Winik wrote at the time.

James traveled to Brooklyn just after 4 a.m. on April 13 in a U-Haul van that he rented in Philadelphia, the FBI says. 

Just before 8:30 a.m., the peak of rush hour, the feds allege he tossed a smoke canister on an N train that had pulled into the 36th Street station in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, before opening fire inside the train, according to the New York City Police Department.

Ten commuters were shot and over a dozen others were injured in the chaos. 

After the shooting, the gunman left the station without being caught, kicking off a manhunt that lasted more than 24 hours.

James — who was named the lone suspect by the NYPD — was arrested a day later in the East Village, after the FBI received a call from a nearby McDonald’s. They tracked his movements ahead of the shooting using Lyft records and a receipt found at the crime scene. 

Before the attack in April, James had already been arrested nearly a dozen times in New York and New Jersey over the previous 30 years. 

In 2011, he was able to legally buy a gun in Ohio because he had no felony conviction. Feds allege it is the same gun he used in the New York City shooting.  

He also had a Youtube account, on which he posted unhinged and threatening tirades against different groups, including Latinos and the unhoused. 



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *