Colorado LGBTQ Club Shooting Suspect Had Prior Police Standoff

USA News

  • The Colorado LGBTQ club shooting suspect had a previous standoff with police.
  • At least five people were killed and 18 injured at ClubQ in Colorado Springs.
  • Police identified a 22-year-old man who is in custody as the shooting suspect.

The suspect who police say killed at least 5 people and injured 18 others in a Colorado LGBTQ club had a standoff with police last year after allegedly threatening his family with a homemade bomb, according to reports.

Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez identified a 22-year-old man who police took into custody at the scene of the shooting as the suspect. Vasquez said the man entered ClubQ on Saturday night and immediately began shooting with a “long rifle” before two people “confronted and fought” him, holding him down until police arrived.

The club had advertised an all-ages drag brunch on Sunday in honor of Transgender Day of Remembrance on its Facebook page

The FBI is aiding the police investigation of the shooting. Chief Vasquez said at the press conference that no motive had been identified for the shooting and it is not being investigated as a hate crime, but police are looking into investigating it as a hate crime.

In June of 2021, the suspect was arrested and charged with two counts of felony menacing and three counts of first-degree kidnapping after the standoff with police, according to KRDO. Colorado Springs Police Public Information Officer Pam Castro would not answer any questions about the suspect’s previous interactions with police at a press conference on Sunday.

KRDO reported that 10 homes in the suspect’s neighborhood of Lorson Ranch were told to evacuate their homes during the standoff in June 2021.  Police told the station that the suspect had threatened his family and was “heavily armed” and possibly had a homeland bomb.

Police sent a text alert to everyone in a 1/4 mile radius of the suspect’s home to evacuate, the station reported.

A crisis negotiation unit negotiated with the suspect and police apprehended him around 8 hours after police evacuated the neighborhood, according to KRDO. Police took the suspect to the El Paso County Jail. 

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.